Friday, March 18, 2016

A Broken Heart

Dear Dex,

Today Daddy and I have been married for 10 years.  TEN whole years.  They have been years filled with hope, love, excitement, travel, new homes, new schools, new jobs, new friends.  Your big brother Jake is now 9 and your big sister Maddie is now 6.  And now we have you.  You came into our world just a couple of weeks ago and already we could not be more in love with you.

Today is also the day that we learned you will have open heart surgery.  When your baby heart was developing in Mommy's belly, a portion of it never closed properly and we've been watching it very, very carefully since the Doctors found it half way through my pregnancy.  It's called a Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD) and it is commonly referred to as a "hole in the heart".  Many times, these holes close on their own and we were oh so hopeful that yours would with time.  Unfortunately, after taking another look at your heart today, the doctor thinks that is not possible and recommends you have surgery between 3 and 6 months of age.  When she said these words in her office today, I could not keep my tears from falling.  I am afraid for you.  I am afraid for us.  I cannot bear to see you in pain.  While I know this surgery will heal you, I don't want you to have to go through it at all.  But that is not an option -- and the only way for you to live a long, healthy life is for us to find the best possible surgeon we can so he/she can repair your little heart.

Please know that we will find the best care for you and will be there every single step of the way.  Years and years from now you won't remember a thing.  And Daddy and I will be so incredibly thankful for that (as a few more gray hairs sprout from our heads).

We love you so much buddy.  We're in this together.

Mama






No comments: