Friday, November 7, 2008

Another thing they don't tell you about parenthood

Now that Jacob has "found his words", I find that we repeat the same conversations over and over again. This is something that I never realized about parenting a toddler. Their vocabulary is limited so, naturally, the conversation is predictable and (at times) like a dagger through the eyeball. Let me give you an example. We are in the car today and I'm driving to the store:

Jacob: "momma?"
me: "yes honey"
Jacob: "Oh-woah" (Oh-woah is his BFF Owen)
me: "we're going to see Owen later Jacob."
Jacob: "Oh-woah PUSH"
me: "no, we don't push Owen. Is pushing nice?"
Jacob: "nooOOooo" (with a slight inflection in the voice)
me: "Right. Can you show me nice?"
Jacob: "Ice" (as he strokes his face gently)

a slight pause....

Jacob: "momma?"
me: "yes baby"
Jacob: "choo choo!"
me: "Do you see a train?"
Jacob: "nooooo. CHOO CHOO! CHOO CHOO!"
me: "Okay, maybe we'll see a train when we get closer to the tracks"
Jacob: "ah-kay"

another slight pause:

Jacob: "momma?"
me: "yes Jacob"
Jacob: "Oh-woah"
(here we go again)
me: "Jacob, we're going to see Owen later. Right now we're going to the store"
Jacob: "Oh-woah PUSH!"
me: "no, we don't push Owen. Is pushing nice?"
Jacob: "noooOOOoooo.:
me: "right. Can you show me nice?"
Jacob: "Ice" (as he strokes his face gently. Again.)

Another pause.

Jacob: "CHOO CHOO! CHOO CHOO!"
(oh, for the love of Lester...)

Why is it that they don't get tired of these "conversations"? Surely he remembers that we just had it? He remembers that there are balls in the bins at Old Navy when we haven't been there in MONTHS. He remembers that the fruit snacks are hidden in the very top right cabinet of our kitchen b/c he saw me pull them out of there ONCE. I think this kid is playing a mean trick on me.

No comments: