Tuesday, March 31, 2009

"Bebe Dos"

Today was my first trimester screening test. It's called the NT (nuchal translucency) test and it screens for chromosomal abnormalities like Down's syndrome and Trisomy 13 and 18. I have to admit, we have had our reservations about taking this test. It's becoming the "standard" in prenatal care but because it's not diagnostic, you only receive probabilities for having a child with one of these disorders. So, it doesn't tell you with certainty. Our Doctor recommended it which is why we went ahead and agreed.

BUT, the best part is, you get an early ultrasound...in my case, at 13 weeks. As soon as they put the probe on my belly, I saw our little bean and tears started streaming down my face. (I'm going to refer to the baby as "him" only because it's a pain to type he/she a million times...and b/c I think it's a boy. ha.) He was moving around so much that they could barely take measurements! He was kicking his legs and waving his arms and opening and closing his mouth. I know the technicians probably say this to everyone, but both the technician and the Doctor kept commenting on his perfect shape and profile. It was absolutely beautiful.

At one point, the technician asked me "Do you want to know what you are having?" Shock set in. I had no idea they could tell this early? I said "no, no, no. I promised my husband we wouldn't find out. Please don't tell me and don't ask me again or I will cave." Then the Doctor came in and said "Did she tell you what you're having?" Ahhhh! Nooo!!!! Don't talk about it! ha. I am only sorry that Mark was out of town and couldn't be there to share in the fun. :( :(

In the ultrasound, they measure the level of fluid behind the baby's neck. If it measures more than 3 mm, then it's a sign for a chromosomal disorder. Our baby's measurement was 1.6. I had blood work done which will come back in a week for more results. Please pray for our little bean that he is 100% healthy!

Here are some awesome pics of our little growing baby. We can't wait to meet him (or her!)



Do you see me kicking my leg?



I also like touching my toes





My close-up profile shot



Hi Mom! Hi Dad!



Another high five

No comments: