Friday, October 30, 2009

I have a lot to learn

I've discovered I have a LOT to learn about parenting two kids. Not that this came as any surprise but it's been an eye opening experience to say the least. I really, really can't comprehend how people manage raising multiples.

I've been really good about getting out with both Jacob and Maddie on a regular basis. If Jacob was locked in the house all day, I think we'd all end up pulling our hair out. So, we've tried to maintain our regular schedule. We still take Jacob to school every Monday and Wednesday, go to story time at the library every Tuesday and our regular playgroup on Friday. I take them out to run errands with me and so far, it's been much easier than I thought.

On Wednesday, the Mom's League was having a Halloween party outside at a park at 3 pm. Unfortunately, Mark was working in Arlington so I had to take them on my own. I picked Jacob up from school and we headed straight to the park. When we got there, I changed him into his Scooby Doo costume and we were off. The whole afternoon went surprisingly well. I put Maddie in the Baby Bjorn and she slept the whole time. As it was approaching 5 pm, I knew she would be waking up soon to eat and I wanted to get them both home before that happened. I gave Jacob a few 5 minute warnings but I knew he was having way too much fun to go home. I thought about just feeding her there when all of a sudden, I felt my belly and legs get really, really warm....and WET. Then, I was dripping. I was so confused at first until I realized that Maddie was peeing all over me while she was still in the Bjorn. I had changed her diaper right before I left but apparently, that wasn't enough! I was mortified (and grossed out) and told Jacob that we needed to leave (it was well beyond the 5 minutes I promised anyway) and that didn't go over well at all. I ended up scooping him up with one arm and somehow managing pushing a stroller with the other, still wearing Maddie in the Bjorn, as we made it to the car. I then had 2 kids screaming (Maddie was wet and hungry and Jacob was just mad.) Getting them both into the car and quiet was an amazing challenge. I got them in the car but they never calmed down so the drive home was quite a test of patience. But, alas, we made it home in one piece and I was proud that I ventured out to such a big event with both of them. And, to be honest, we had an awesome time up until the very end, and I blame all of that madness completely on myself. I should have been more prepared!

Before we left for the Halloween party, I had to get a pic of Maddie in her ghost outfit. :)



The Scooby Doo costume ended up being WAY too small. Even though it said 2-4!!



Jacob with his friend Zain (the clown) and another little girl dressed as Hannah Montana



Jacob and his friend Keira



He was so anxious to start the trick-or-treating part of it. They made us wait a long time!



Our playgroup friends (Zain, Jacob, Keira and Milla)



He finally got to get candy!



They had to run to all of these buckets of candy planted all over the park



Jacob was loving every minute of it



And, enjoying the candy he worked so hard to get...



He kept telling me "mommy, help me play hockey." I kept saying "Jacob, I'd help you play hockey but this is golf."



On Saturday, October 17th, the Mom's League also organized an outing to the Flower Mound Pumpkin Patch. Thank goodness this was a weekend event and Mark could join us. Unfortunately, I thought it started at 2 pm, but instead, it ended at 2 pm. My mommy brain is in rare form folks. I am forgetting everything these days. Still, we went at 2 pm and had a great time even though we didn't get to see our friends.



Jacob loves him some Dora...



On the train that we had to wait WAY too long in line for. Jacob was NOT happy about the wait and Mark was trying everything under the sun to make him happy while we waited in line.



They had a bouncy house/slide that Mark helped Jacob through























And Baby Maddie -- an angel in the stroller the whole time...

No comments: