Sunday, January 15, 2012

Merry Belated Christmas!

I can't believe I'm just now posting about Christmas but we had a LOT going on this holiday so I have some catching up to do. We celebrated Christmas morning at home and then on Christmas afternoon, we flew to Albuquerque, New Mexico to spend the holiday with Grandma and Grandpa and all of our cousins. From Albuquerque, we had to drive 3 hours to Angel Fire to my parents house. That might have been the longest drive of my life. Maddie was hysterical for about half of it and Jacob didn't fall asleep until the end. Frank, Paige, Tori, Luca and Bella had already arrived at the house (from Dallas) and we walked in with 2 screaming kids -- I'm sure it was a greeting everyone enjoyed!

Despite a few bouts of altitude sickness (again), we had an amazing week. Jacob took a ski school class (and liked it!), Maddie played in the snow for the first time and Mark and I got to ski solo for half a day. We also got some awesome quality time in with the cousins. We are thrilled we got to see everyone! I'll tell the rest of the story in pictures...

Christmas Eve - the kids each get to open a couple of gifts. Maddie found a new pair of pajamas in that bag!



Jacob was excited about his movie!



I love this next set of pictures. Maddie clearly loves her pajamas SO much that she starts de-clothing so she can put her new ones on!



There she goes. Old pajamas off!



And new pajamas on!



After the kids went to bed, Mark was tasked with putting their "big" gift together from Nanny and Papa. The EXTREME ROLLER COASTER! Mark initially started building it in the playroom and I can't tell you how many expletives I heard him muttering from the kitchen. I wasn't sure if I should try and help or run far, far away.



The "loot" after Santa came.



Jacob waking up on Christmas morning







Maddie ran straight to her plasma car. She plays with these at the gym and LOVES them. Santa knew what he was doing...



And Jacob got a brand new big boy bike!



Maddie wasn't as in to opening presents as we had expected. We had to force her to open them (or Jacob would "help" her)



Jacob liked his new magnet dart board!



Then they discovered the roller coaster



And of course had to try it out!





The day after we arrived in NM, we took the kids out sledding. They loved every second of it until their little hands got cold from the gloves that kept coming off. Here's Uncle Frank and Maddie.



Maddie all bundled up!



Mark and Jacob coming up the hill after sledding down



Daddy and Maddie going down the hill



Uncle Frank giving Jacob a "talking to". LOVE IT.



Jacob kept saying "Push me faster Daddy!" So this is Mark running and pushing Jacob down the hill. After this push, Mark landed flat on his face in the snow. Pretty darn funny.



Paige and Maddie!



So, at the end of the trail, there was a drop off (to the left) with tall trees and a stream at the bottom. It doesn't look like much from this picture but trust me, if you were looking over that edge, you'd know it wasn't safe. For some reason, Jacob kept veering left as he came down the hill. I saw him headed toward that drop off and nearly had a heart attack. I ran for my life trying to catch him. When he safely stopped (before the drop off), everyone up top was laughing and I was screaming my head off "That is NOT FUNNY! THIS IS NOT SAFE!"



This is us coming back up the hill and I was NOT happy even though for some reason I'm smiling. Fast forward 2 days later. Mark took Jacob, Hunter and Hallie out on that same hill to go sledding. I was putting Maddie down for her nap and I had dozed off on the bed inside. I woke up and heard them all going outside. I kept telling myself "Get out of bed and go outside and help him because someone needs to be at the bottom making sure nobody goes off that side". I get up, rush to get my clothes and boots on and the MINUTE I step outside I hear Jacob SCREAMING his head off. My heart literally stopped. I hate that kind of fear! I start running toward the hill and Mark is pulling Jacob up off the side of the cliff. Yes, he had gone right off the side! I was not pleased, and I had every intention to give Mark an earful when I got down there. But, when I saw the look on this face (which clearly said "oh crap, she's going to KILL me"), he immediately apologized and I just had to let it go. Everyone was okay. But, I didn't leave that post the rest of the afternoon b/c I was terrified someone was going to get hurt!



Jacob and Mark outside waiting to be let in for Jacob's ski school.



Opening presents!





So cute seeing all the cousins playing a game together



Cousins! From left: Hallie, Joshua, Hudson, Hayden, Jacob and Hunter



We did a white elephant gift exchange and this was one of the silly gifts Hallie got.



Adorable Hallie



Handsome Hunter



We also spent a lot of time watching movies. The DVD of Andy Z that Santa brought has been a huge hit in our house!



On the 27th, we had dinner at the Country Club. The kids had their own huge table and barely disturbed us the whole night! It was fantastic! This is Frank with Bella.



The teenagers, Tori and Clay. Oh I forgot how boring it is to be 16 and sitting with a bunch of adults. At least they had each other!



Hallie and Uncle Frank



Maddie giving Mama kisses



Maddie wondering what she should do with that melted ice cream in her bowl



Drink it, of course!



Awesome ice cream mustache



Grandpa loves to bribe his grandkids for kisses



The whole group!



We went to Red River one day to go shopping. Jacob loves to have his picture taken and insisted that I take one of him in the store. So he posed.



Mark and I on our Ski Date Day!



Chewbaca was there too.



In line for the lift



The trip home was another long day of travel. 3 hour drive from Angel Fire to Albuquerque, then TWO delayed flights on the way home. Top it off with Maddie vomiting in her car seat when we were literally 10 minutes away from home and you've got yourself one hell of a trip! All is well that ends well -- and we made some wonderful memories. :)

Thanks Grandma and Grandpa for having us in Angel Fire! We love you!

No comments: