Sunday, May 14, 2017

River Place Rapids

Maddie joined swim team this year for the first time ever!  Her swim team is called the River Place Rapids (through the country club).  I never grew up swimming so swim meets are something completely foreign to me.  I showed up way early on Friday night and from the moment we got there, I was totally overwhelmed!  Hundreds of kids running around in bathing suits and swim caps so they all look the same and you have no idea which one is your kid.  They are all supposed to be "stationed" by age group and then volunteers are running around writing the events in sharpie on their bodies.  I don't know how this all comes together but it does.  All the kids line up at their designated time and it's just race after race. I've seriously never seen anything like it!  Maddie decided she would do the freestyle and the backstroke.  Since she's never participated in a meet before, she didn't have a time for any of the events to try and beat.  She finished the freestyle in 26.81 seconds (#30 out of 46 girls ages 7-8).  She finished the backstroke 44.85 seconds (#29 out of 31 swimmers).  You'll see in the videos that she's still learning how to do these strokes and we can't wait to see how she progresses this year!!  Never thought I'd be a fan of swimming but watching this meet was way more fun than I imagined! 
























In this video, she's doing the freestyle and she is in lane 6 closest to the camera.



In this video, she's doing the backstroke and she is in lane 4, 2nd from the top of the screen

No comments: