Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Don't laugh at my baby

Jacob and I joined Katie and Luke for our weekly stroll to the Farmer's Market yesterday. While perusing the butternut squashes, a 60-something man approaches me. Our exchange went like this:

(60-something man staring at my son): "Linebacker for the Bears?"

(me - forced laugh): "My husband would like to think so"

(60-something man giggling): "How big is HE?"

(me-knowing exactly where this is going): "He's 7 months and about 24 pounds"

(60-something man proceeds to start hysterically laughing...I instantly get defensive):
"Are you laughing at my BABY? You're LAUGHING at my baby! Don't LAUGH at my baby! He's very sensitive!"

(60-something man looks worried and scared at the same time): "NO, no, he's adorable! I just can't believe how BIG he is!"

And there you have it, I made a new friend at the farmer's market.

Just another day in Jacob and momma's life. Really. I wish I could say this encounter was something new, but in reality, we have conversations like this everyday. Just don't ask me "WHAT are you FEEDING that kid?" That really gets me going. Like I'm forcing steak and mashed potatoes down his throat. Come ON.

He's big and he's beautiful. And he's got the most adorable, squeezable cheeks I've ever seen in my life. Just wait, you too will want to nibble on them when you see him in person. ;)

3 comments:

Stacie said...

maybe when your new friend said, how big is HE?" he meant "how big is his DAD??" since you had just said something about mark....???? just a thought..........;)

Unknown said...

luv the blog babe...what a "cheeky" lil fella...don't let those peeps get ya down, tori was a chunky monkey of a baby too & she sure was cute!!!...luv u guys!!! ;) brandi

Unknown said...

I love the blog and so glad you sent it! I can't wait to see you guys and to meet Baby Jacob in November. First dibs on his cheeks! Miss you guys.