Saturday, September 22, 2007

One babysitter down


Babysitting is the best birth control. Ever.


Mark's best friend, Jim Clark, is getting married this weekend so yesterday was full of pre-wedding festivities including a Cubs game on the rooftop (see above) and the rehearsal dinner last night. Since our regular babysitters already had plans for the weekend, we asked a new girl, a recent NU grad, to sit for Jacob from about noon - 7 pm yesterday. Mark and I had to come home during that time to change for the rehearsal dinner and then we were heading out again so she was staying until Eric came over to sit for the rest of the night.


I want to back up for a minute. For the past week, Jacob has been in rare form. Refusing to nap, screaming inconsolably at times, and just plain irritable. This behavior has been so far from the norm that we took him to the doctor on Wednesday convinced he had an ear infection. Nope. Ears were as clean as a whistle. I hate to say this, but I was hoping it was an ear infection because at least that would explain his mood. I'm a problem solver. Problem = ear infection. Solution = medical attention. While I don't want my baby to be sick and in pain, I also don't want him to be crying inconsolably for no good reason (I want to fix the problem!) Alas, the doctor chalked it up to his 2 top teeth coming in. Really? That's what's causing all of this?


So, I regress. The babysitter came over and Jacob was just coming off of a long nap and had a full belly. Surely a recipe for a successful day. Mmmm, not so much.


By the time we arrived home at 5 pm, we walked in and I could immediately tell by the look on this poor girl's face that the last few hours had added a few years onto her life. Her hair was disheveled, her eyes a bit withdrawn, I think I even saw a wrinkle appear (mind you, she's 22 years old. Hey, it can happen.) We learned that he refused to nap and hadn't slept in 5 hours. For those of you with babies, you know that 5 hours not sleeping to a 7 1/2 month old is an eternity and then some. I immediately whisked him into his room and blasted that hair dryer until he was out like a light (the hair dryer is mommy and daddy's best friend in this house).


We left for the rehearsal dinner and Jacob was down for the night. Eric came over around 7:30 to relieve our sitter. When I came home later that evening, I asked Eric how it went and how the sitter seemed when he arrived. Apparently, she wasn't excited about conversing and fled the scene as fast as possible. She ran out the door as fast as Seabiscuit.


I'm quite confident she will never speak to us again. Oh well, at least we still have our regular sitters. That is, of course, as of today. Courtney will be sitting for us tonight while we are at the wedding so we may be down to 1 regular sitter by tomorrow. I'll keep you posted...


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh yes, the wonderful life of the babysitter. Remember babysitting when you were like 13??? I remember calling my mom in tears b/c a baby wouldn't stop crying and I didn't know what to do. Ha.

Unknown said...

btw - on lok lifeways is rachel. i set up a blog for work. ha.