Saturday, December 1, 2007

Imitation is the highest form of flattery

Jacob has suddenly taken up imitating mom and dad. The first time we noticed it was when he picked up my brush and started whacking it at the side of his head. At first I wondered what the heck he was doing, but then realized he was trying to brush his own hair (after he had seen me brushing and drying my own.)

Then, for the past couple of weeks, he kept putting the palm of his hand up to his ear. Thinking this was related to his ear infection, we overlooked it. But then one day he picked up Mark's cell phone after Mark was talking on it and put it right up to his ear, listening to the silence intently. Now, we entertain ourselves by saying "Hello?" all day long and watching Jacob pick up the cell phone and put it up to his ear (as if he's answering the thing). I'm telling you, it is just too cute.

So, this is a critical time my friends. We have to watch every move we make around him so that he doesn't start imitating the wrong things. We can't have our kid walking around scratching his bottom, picking his nose and liberally (and loudly) passing gas. (These are all things he'd get from his daddy, of course. He can imitate me all day without learning any bad habits. HA.)

I guess we just have to accept and embrace the fact that we are forming his mind every single day. Good thing he has good genes. At least he has his looks going for him. :)

No comments: