Wednesday, December 19, 2007

"shear" neurosis

Lately, at least 10 times a day, I think about cutting Jacob's hair. Not cutting it myself (don't worry, I know better,) but I do think about taking him to one of those cute little kids hair cutting places and getting his first "do". I don't know if it's really necessary but his hair keeps creeping over his ears and the back of his head is getting a little squirrely. There are curls coming out in every direction.

Here's my thing. I've had bad haircuts in my life. You know the kind...where you fight back tears when you're sitting in the chair because you don't want to insult the stylist. Why I ever cared if I insulted the stylist is beyond me because I've had some serious butchers go to town on my head and I just sat there at the end touching my hairless head barely getting out the words "no really, it looks fine" (as tears were welling up in my eyes.)

So, I'm afraid that my adorable little boy will look different after getting his first haircut and I just don't know how I will deal with that. If they chop his sweet little locks, will he still look like my baby? Or will he look like a grown up old man? Ugh, I just can't stand it. And now I've built it up in my head. The anticipation of it is driving me mad. God forbid they do a bad job and then I really have something to stress over.

I need to just bite the bullet and go. OR, I need to go get a job so I will quit being so neurotic about my child so I can concentrate on something other than baby teeth, baby hair, baby proofing, baby sleep and baby POOP.

I will say one thing. If I do take him in to the kids hair cutting place to do the ceremonious "first haircut" ritual, I will NOT be keeping a lock of his hair. Seriously. That creeps me out.

No comments: