Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Once again, Doctors are not our friends

Exactly one week after Jacob got the antibiotic injections in his leg, he started to complain about ear pain again. This was on Friday, the day before his birthday. I wasn't going to let ANYthing interfere with his birthday, so back to the Doctor we went. Sure enough, the ear infection was raging again in the left ear. Ugh. They decided to give him the antibiotic injections again and start him on another (the 3rd) oral antibiotic. Jacob now thinks that going to the Doctor = getting shots. He was not at all happy when we started to take his pants down and knew exactly what was going to happen. It literally brings tears to my eyes when I think about it! But, it was a necessary evil and stickers and lollipops usually soothe him quickly. They also urged us to take him to a pediatric ENT sooner rather than later. The likely course of treatment will be tubes in his ears.

So, yesterday (Tuesday), we had another appointment at the Doctor for Jacob and Maddie's well visits (Jacob's 3 year check up and Maddie's 4 month check up). When we told Jacob we were going back to the Doctor, he was understandably upset. "Her hurt my legs mommy". I told him that he would not be getting shots this time, but he was very skeptical. When we arrived and Nurse Laura took us all back to the room, he made sure to announce to everyone "Don't touch my legs, okay?" Nurse Laura told him that he was not getting shots, but that Maddie will have to get shots. So then, the whole time we were there, he had to tell every single person who walked in "Maddie is getting shots today, NOT me." Thank goodness he didn't need shots, because it wouldn't have been pretty.

Jacob's stats: 38 1/2 inches tall and 39 lbs. This kid has been 39 lbs for the last year and a half. How is it possible that he still looks so huge when he hasn't gained any weight? I think he's finally just growing tall and thinning out.

Maddie's stats: 25 1/2 inches tall and 15 lbs. 6 oz. She was 90% for height and 85% for weight. She is our big girl!! Both kids are doing great and continue to chart on a steady, healthy curve.

We have our appointment with the ENT tomorrow and I'm anxiously waiting to hear what the next step is. I'm sure it's tubes but I also have a slight sliver of hope that there may be an alternative. I just hate the idea of Jacob having surgery. I know it's a pretty common procedure these days, but I'd really rather not ever have to deal with that.

No comments: