Monday, May 10, 2010

Just can't get enough

I decided last week that being tied to a sewing machine is not an ideal way to live life, no matter how addicting it can be. In fact, addiction it is. Do they make a patch for sewing? Ahhh, no pun intended.

Here's what I've learned so far:
  • Sewing has a HUGE learning curve. Yes, I learned that there is a learning curve. And it's big.
  • Sewing "speak" consists of a different language. One that I rarely understand. The "selvage" had me stumped for days.
  • Patterns with pictures are the only way to go. Give me a picture and I understand (most of the time.) Write it out in sewing "speak" and I will likely throw my machine out the window in frustration.
  • I cannot, for the life of me, estimate sizes correctly. (See exhibits A and B below).
I have been dying to create something for little Madeline to wear that really was built from scratch. So, I decided to make her a pair of shoes. Please don't ask me why I started with shoes. I don't even know how to answer that question. I saw them and they were cute and I thought I had to make her some.

Well, here they are and they are cute. But they were too small. So, off they went into Iris's gift basket.



So, my next big project was a summer dress. I love the idea of putting different fabrics together to create something unique and beautiful. So I made this. And it was too small (seeing a trend here?) Argh, isn't this a cute dress?! The darn thing didn't fit over my baby girls big noggin'. Her head is bigger than her chest! Can you believe that??



But, I think the most fun I've had is when I'm making something for someone else. I love giving a friend something that is unique and made with love, so I hope they love it as much as I love making it! If not, who cares. I still loved making it! ha.

Gifts for Iris:



And, at the end of the day, I realize that sewing has been a little therapeutic for me. There's nothing more satisfying than starting with a little bit of fabric and thread and making something beautiful. Even if it is too small.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

LADY. You are amazing. When on earth do you find time to make these lovelies? Come back soon so we can bead, sew, and play again! And yes, that dress is ADORABLE. Will you teach me? Miss you!

Unknown said...

Iris is one lucky girl! I love the gift and the shoes fit! :) Talented lady, my friend.