Monday, November 29, 2010

Photography lesson #2: Expect nothing

Once again, the pressure is on to take the perfect photograph for our holiday cards. You'd think by now I'd realize that the "perfect photo" does not exist (especially one with all 4 of us included) and that the perfection lies in the "imperfections". I'm working on that. Yet still, on a daily basis, I have this aching need to get outside and snap photos of my angels, so that I can capture the magic they bring to our lives, to deliver right to your mailbox. This is one of my downfalls...these great expectations.

The day after Thanksgiving was amazing. It was cool and clear and after a slew of rain, we welcomed the sunshine. After the kids woke up from their naps, I immediately said "let's go to the city and take pictures near the bridge." Instead of laughing in my face, Mark surprisingly jumped on board and we were on our way. I packed toys, snacks, jackets...seemingly everything we'd need. Guess what I forgot? The sun goes down EARLY these days -- and Chrissy Field near the Golden Gate bridge is surrounded by hills of trees, blocking the low sun, even though it hasn't set yet. The light was off, the temps were chilly, and the kids were...well, being kids. They didn't want to have anything to do with the camera, or smiling for one, and both were running in different directions.

Still, it is a memory etched in our brains of the day we played under the Golden Gate bridge. And even though the 4 of us aren't present in any 1 picture, we captured some light and some smiles along the way.







Maddie's need to run full speed into the ocean was NOT to be underestimated









Even 3 members of the family was hard to capture -- but this one surprised me. If only Jacob was looking up.



Her smile kills me in this photo



Mark and I were throwing the ball back and forth to each other to keep her attention



I'm playing with the "soft" setting here



Jacob found a stick. Give the kid a big stick and he's happy for hours.



I had to include this picture even though it is frustratingly (is that a word?) blurry. Her little tiny self in front of this ginormous (now, I know that's not a word) bridge. Nothing is much cuter than that.



And by far, my favorite photo of the day...is quite possibly my favorite photo of the year. Jacob was shoveling sand and then throwing it in the air. Over and over again. I can't get over his facial expression, his posture, and most specifically, his HAND. Good lord, it brings me to tears every time. How funny is HE?!



Don't be surprised if you see any of these photos appear on your Christmas card this year. Since only 5 of you read this blog, I don't mind spoiling the surprise for you. But, then again, I may still be attempting the "perfect photo" and those cards may never make it in the mail. :)

2 comments:

Jaemie said...

You got some great pictures! Her poncho is quite possibly the cutest thing I've ever seen!

kristy said...

holy crap! that last photo of jacob has me almost peeing in my pants! so great.