Wednesday, November 20, 2013

I'm not cheap. I'm just lazy!

The thought of professional picture taking when you have a 4 and a 6 year old generally makes me queasy.  The truth is, it always sounds like a good idea, but then the reality is never, ever what you dreamed.  And when you add on the pressure of getting the "perfect picture" for your annual holiday card?  Fohgettaboutit.

So, last year, since we had procrastinated long enough, we decided to take on the challenge ourselves.  15 minutes max.  At a local park.  First thing in the morning.  No pressure -- just a few minutes of picture taking in hopes that we might have something useable for a holiday card.

And we got one.  Dare I say we got a few?  And it didn't cost a dime.  Don't be mistaken.  I don't mind shelling over the big bucks for outstanding photos of the family (this is Angela talking -- Mark might greatly disagree) but I have a fundamental problem with the STRESS that goes along with it. And I won't even compare my photography with a professional, but when it comes right down to it, I just want a nice family photo.  And I'm pleased with how it all turned out.

So on Sunday, we decided to dress up a bit and go on what we called a "nature walk" with the kids (see how we make it seem like an adventure to them?)  Mind you, we were walking around nature in our neighborhood (that we walk all the time -- but call it a "nature walk" and all of a sudden it becomes exciting).  I brought the camera in hopes of capturing something.

And I got this:
















And this:
























And this:
























There are always unexpected photos that come from these mini photo shoots that you can't help but giggle when you see them.  Like this one of Maddie on Jacob's back, trying to give him a kiss on the cheek while smashing his face in.  If that doesn't capture their bond, I don't know what does.
















And then of course Maddie insisting on trying to give Jacob a piggy back ride because he gave her one. We didn't actually let him try, knowing that would end in a bucket full of tears.


































I won't ruin the surprise and post the pictures that did make it on the holiday card.  But, rest assured we had a few to choose from.  And it only took 20 minutes and $0 dollars.  That's my kind of holiday card.  ;)

1 comment:

Jaemie said...

I can't wait. Now come do ours!