Sunday, November 10, 2013

Who's afraid of 4 year shots? Not this girl.



This girl shocks the heck out of me sometimes.  On the way to her appointment, she asked me if she would be getting shots.  My standard response is always "I don't know.  We'll have to wait and ask the Doctor".  She got upset a bit and started to wimper, "I don't want to get shots".  I just kept saying not to worry until we talk to the Doctor.

Doctor comes in and she is a little ham -- telling him all about her preschool, the teachers names, what they do during the day.  We chat a bit and then he tells me she's due for 2 vaccinations and the flu shot.  Maddie didn't seem to overhear this so I just let it go and decided to tell her when the nurse came in with them.

Nurse comes in and tells her, "Okay, we're going to get 3 owies today but you can sit on Mommy's lap and I'll do it REALLY fast."  Maddie doesn't even flinch.  She sits on my lap and watches (I repeat, WATCHES) the nurse stick her 3 times in the legs!  After the first one, I was expecting her to start screaming but she just sat there and stared at her legs and the needles going in.  At one point I said "Well, Maddie, you don't have to watch them going in!  You can look away!"  Nope, no way.  She watched every. single. one.

And never made a peep.

Can you tell I'm shocked?!  Even the Nurse was dumbfounded.  She gave Maddie a high five after and said "GIRLS ROCK".  heh.  Then she whispered to me "Watch out Mom, sometimes they save the screaming for the car."  I wasn't worried.  I knew Maddie would be over it the second we left the building.  And she was -- and she's MY rock star baby girl.  :)

Her 4 year stats:
43 lbs (90%)
42.5 inches (90%)

Interestingly, at Jacob's 4 year check up, he was 42 inches tall and 46.4 lbs.  At every appointment, she is about 1/2 inch taller than he was at that time.  And we thought he was huge!!

Something we need to watch out for is her eye sight.  She struggled a tiny bit with the shapes on the chart.  Her left eye was 20/32 and the right eye was 20/25.  Nothing to worry about right now though and they'll just re-check when she's 5. :)

We also just found out that IHM moved their Kindergarten cut off date to 9/1.  It used to be 10/1, so Maddie met the cut off by a day.  Now she doesn't meet the cut off and we're not sure exactly what that is going to mean.  We had planned to send her to Kindergarten next year (as long as the preschool felt she was ready) but now I have no idea what's going to happen.  There is a transitional kindergarten through our public school district for kids turning 5 in Sept/Oct/Dec that might be a great transition for her.  We just know that it really doesn't make sense for her to do another year in that preschool.  I think she would get extremely bored and frustrated.  We hope to talk to the school this week to see what our options are!  Wish us luck!

No comments: