Wednesday, August 27, 2014

End of Summer and Paying it forward

The Summer just flew by.  FLEW BY.  It seems surreal to have 2 children now in school full time.  Right now, the peace and quiet is welcomed as I prepare for my 8th JBF sale that is coming up in a month.  But I know once the event is over, I'm going to look around each day wishing I could have my little pals with me.  Or maybe I'll just go get more pedicures.  ;o)

Our Summer was filled with movie days, friends, dog parks, Safari Run and Legarza camps, Great America, soccer, flag football and as many outings as we could take.  Even though it seemed to go by quickly, the kids were very ready to start school.  I shared their excitement but knowing that my baby was starting Kindergarten was a very hard pill to swallow.  How is she one of THEM?  The big kids? With homework and hot lunches?  Loose teeth and a backpack full of supplies?  It just doesn't seem right...

For now, I'll just celebrate the Summer.

This girl seriously impressed me with her soccer skills.  We signed her up for i9 sports and it was her first real league.  She's done a couple of Kidz Love Soccer classes but that concentrated more on skills and drills.  When she actually had to play a game in this league, she was ALL OVER THE BALL!  On her first day, she scored 3 goals and received the sportsmanship award.   Throughout the rest of the Summer, we really just enjoyed watching her play -- getting more and more confident and skilled at the game every week.  I definitely see a little athlete developing in her.








Jacob started flag football this Summer and LOVES it.  We signed him up for a flag football league in the Winter which we've heard is quite competitive so we wanted to introduce him to it before he started that league.  It was a small group, but that just meant that they got a LOT of playing time in.  I unfortunately didn't get any videos of the touchdowns he scored, but he was great and loved getting his medal too. :)






















Free slurpee day at 7/11 on July 11th :)  It was a Friday and after crazy hair day and face painting at Safari Run camp.  I don't really know how much better it could have gotten for them that day. :)






















Happy Hollow is always a hit.  ESPECIALLY the roller coaster.


















And when you go with some of your favorite people, what could be better?  That's Rachel's little girls, Iris and Violet.  LOVE.






















And of course we always love our days with Nathan and Owen.  We went to a little lake in Hayward one day and Great America a few days later!






















We had to say goodbye to one of our playgroup buddies, the Peppers.  They moved to Portland this Summer.  These kids have all been together since they were babies.  It was a very bitter sweet day.


















And the mamas.






















And the mamas celebrating Marcia's 40th.

















Just Maddie being silly.  I swear, whenever we are in any kind of store, this kid finds something to dress herself up in.  I can't tell you how many pictures I have on my iphone of that girl wearing a superhero mask in Target.

















And Jacob when he asked me to "sexy hair" for him.  Sexy Hair is the name of the gel we purchased from his haircut place.  So now, this style will be forever called "sexy hair".  It's fantastic.






















As the Summer came to an end and we prepared for back to school, I learned that Samaritan House in San Mateo was collecting backpacks filled with supplies to give to kids in need.  It was their goal to supply all of their clients with brand new backpacks and supplies to have a fresh start on the school year.  I decided to let Maddie and Jacob each take on the task of picking out the backpacks and getting supplies at Target.  We then delivered them to Samaritan House.  They really enjoyed the whole idea and I hope that they learned from it.  I really want to seek out and take advantage of more opportunities like this, so they can better appreciate how fortunate we are.  I am thankful that they were enthusiastic and great little helpers the whole way through. :)

Here's a brief article on the backpack campaign.









No comments: