Thursday, August 28, 2014

Welcome to Kindergarten and 2nd Grade!

When Jacob started Kindergarten, I had zero anxiety.  No fears that he would do well and no concerns that he wasn't ready.  The decision to have Maddie start Kindergarten now at almost 5 years old (versus a year from now when she will be almost 6) has given me endless anxiety.  Add to that the fact that they had to hire a brand new Kindergarten teacher at her school (whom we later found out is straight out of college with no experience in the classroom) and Mama's got a headful of worry.

I have gone back and forth on this decision so, so many times, but Mark and I are in agreement that Maddie seems ready.  The preschool recommended she move on and in her Kindergarten evaluation last year, they deemed she was ready.  So, we went with it.  I was the youngest in my class as well growing up (darn those September birthdays!) and I truly never felt that it ever made much of a difference.  Other than waiting to get my drivers license...or a legal beer. :)

So, when she walked into that Kindergarten classroom last week, my heart was bursting watching my baby grow up right before my eyes and my head was screaming "maybe we should wait!"  But alas, the year has started and we are not looking back.  I even volunteered to be head room Mom (as if I don't have enough on my plate already!) so I could be more present in the classroom to keep an eye on how she's doing.  Not to mention that new K teacher (ha).

And then this morning, as I dropped her off at the picnic benches where the K students wait to be walked to their class, the Kindergarten aide said to me "Maddie has been so great in the classroom.  She helps out everyone at her table.  I thought she was one of the older students until I looked up her birthday and realized she was one of the youngest.  I couldn't believe it."

[Insert tears of JOY here]

This simple affirmation lightened the weight on my shoulders and made me so, SO proud of her.  Way to go my little girl -- I know you are only 4, but I see so many bright things in your future.

Now, of course this post is not complete without recognizing THIS guy.  The boy who all of my 2nd grade parent friends say "is one of the sweetest boys in the class" (among a group of seriously crazy boys).  I cherish those words as I know he is active and crazy and silly, but he knows when to take things seriously.  And he takes school VERY seriously.  He is eager to learn and to please.  He always wants to be the BEST at everything.  I love that about him.  And as much as I worry about Maddie being ready, I never worry about him.  I know he's always ready for the next challenge and that he will take it on without hesitation.  We love you so much buddy.  You are going to crush 2nd grade!





















The day before school started, we had a Kindergarten playdate at the park so the kids could get to know each other a little bit.  Would you believe Maddie fell off of the play structure and nearly knocked out her 2 front teeth?!  Her teeth went into her bottom lip (which subsequently was bruised and swollen) and her top 2 teeth would not stop bleeding and became loose.  A trip to the dentist confirmed that her teeth are fine, but they will be coming out soon.  She may be the youngest, but my bet is that those teeth come out in a few months -- and she'll be one of the first in Kindergarten to lose them!  (sob, SOB)



















On back to school night, we visit the kids classrooms and the teachers talk about what they'll be doing during the year.  I always love reading Jacob's notes!



No comments: