Friday, October 17, 2014

Maddie turns 5!

One of the problems of starting Kindergarten early is that I'm always quoting Maddie's age before she actually turns that age. So, in my mind, I've been thinking she's already 5 for MONTHS. Not true, of course, but I think I'll always think of her as older than she really is. Perhaps it's because she's so mature?! She really is now 5 going on 15. You should hear the attitude in this girl's voice and gestures sometimes!

When I think about the little person she's becoming, it's hard not to think of myself at that age. She IS very mature, outgoing and always game for whatever is going on. She never wants to show fear. I was mature (I think -- my parents can correct me if I'm wrong -- ha), but I was extremely shy. And worried. All the time. While she shows apprehension occasionally, her general attitude is that if so & so can do it, so can she! I hope she tackles the world with this kind of confidence and clarity. Don't be fearful little girl -- it will do nothing but hold you back!

So now she's 5. Officially. And in Kindergarten. In school for the long term. I've never felt older (wahhh!)

Her desire and confidence in learning to read is growing by the day. She's getting better and better at her sight words and just the other day finished a whole book called "Mat Hid" in a series of BOB books that prepare kids for reading. It really is amazing how school has helped her WANT to learn to read which is something we were hoping for all along. Her teeth are still in tact (thank goodness!) and actually seemed to have strengthened in the healing process and are not very wiggly anymore. Maybe that means we have a few more good months with them. :) Maddie is still very much into all things sports, just like her big brother. She's playing AYSO soccer now and can't wait until she can play basketball again. When we get home from school, the first thing she does is get out of her uniform, put on her basketball clothes and asks if I can move the cars in the driveway so she can shoot hoops outside. I do love that she and Jacob do this on a regular basis together. They are each others buddies!

We celebrated her 5th birthday at Pump it up with all of her best friends. Nanny and Papa were here so they got to join in on the fun. Maddie seems to be bonding with so many kids in her class, it's a wonderful thing to witness. When we are walking into/out of school, she is just waving like crazy to each and every one "Hi Austin! Hi Sofia! Bye Nash! Bye Gianna!" It's really cute to watch. And, what's even cuter, is that Maddie is usually waving emphatically to kids in Jacob's class too -- and he in turn socializes with kids in her class. There are a lot of 2nd graders in his class with Kindergarten siblings so everyone seems to know and welcome each other!

Happy Birthday sweet girl. I still can't believe you are 5. How has it been 5 years already since we brought you home?! I really can't wait to see the kind of beautiful, confident woman you will be as you grow. And all of the wonderful things you are going to do in this life time! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE YOU!

















No comments: