Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Bedtime at the Broxtermans

I rarely get the opportunity to give Jacob a bath or put him to bed since that is Mark's time with him when he gets home from work. So, I always learn something new when Mark is out of town and Jacob and I run through the routine together. Tonight I realized that he is just down right funny.

Tonight, I announced, "Jacob, it's bath time! Let's great ready for your bath!" As I was running the water, I hear him rummaging through the playroom. Thinking that he's ignoring me, I come out of the bathroom to take a look at what's going on. He comes running through the hall into the bathroom with an armful of cars and throws them into the tub. He then runs out again into the playroom and comes back with another armful of cars and throws them into the tub. I knew that he liked to take toys into the tub (in addition to the already filled tub of water toys) but I didn't realize it had become custom to bring every single car he owned into his bath. I'm starting to realize why Jacob doesn't share his cars. He loves them so much that he can't even take a bath without them. ALL of them. What baffles me most is that during the bath, he didn't play with ONE car. Not a one. He played with the strainers and squirt toys and the cup I use to rinse his head. But there was no car play going on. So, at the end of the bath, he hands me all the cars to dry off before he will get out of the tub and we have to take them with us to get dressed in his pajamas. Geez.

Once he's in his pajamas, we get the room ready for bed. We turn on the nightlight, close the shades, turn on the humidifier and get about 50 books down from the shelves so that we can read one page out of each (because his attention span is a milisecond.) We're looking at his "learn your shapes" book and he sees a banana and starts shouting "na-na-na!, na-na-na!" and wiggles off my lap onto the floor and points to the door saying "na-na-na!" I'm guessing he wants a banana even though he'd just eaten dinner. Who am I to ever deprive the poor kid of food, so I get out of the chair, go into the kitchen and peel him a banana. But he won't eat the banana in the kitchen. He takes my hand and pulls me into the playroom, where he sits on the floor ready to eat his banana. After 2 bites, he won't eat anymore (of course), puts his paci in his mouth and his attention is now on his cars (that I had dumped back into the playroom after he was dressed for bed.) I asked him if he wanted his banana and he said "no, no" so I said "ok then, time for night, night. Let's go into your room and read your books." Back in his room, we're in the chair reading a book when he all of a sudden points to the door and says "na-na-na!" You've got to be kidding me. I look at him like he's crazy and say "Jacob, no more banana, it's night night time." A strange expression came over his face , and do you know what that adorable kid did next? He pointed to his crib, so I said "Do you want to go in your bed?" He nodded his head, took OUT his paci, puckered up and gave me a kiss, and then waved at me and said "bye, bye". ha. Well allrighty then. I said goodnight, put him in his crib, left the room and poured myself a glass of wine. We've both been resting peacefully since then. :)

No comments: