Sunday, October 5, 2008

Halloween is growin' on me

I used to really dislike Halloween. I know I'm in the minority on this one, but in my adult life, I've found this holiday to be way too high maintenance. Finding a costume alone would stress me out beyond belief. I can't tell you how many vintage clothing shops, Goodwills and Salvation Armys I've visited on the morning of Halloween. I just could never build up enough energy to find a costume any earlier than that.

I think the tides are turning. Dressing up a baby boy is quite a different story. The pressure is back on...but in a fun way. Last year, I bought Jacob's scarecrow costume a whole month in advance. A MONTH!! This year, I can't decide if he should be a fireman or a football player...a cuddly puppy dog or Elmo?? Too many choices. But I'm looking forward to taking him trick or treating this year even if he has no clue what's going on.

I think the best part of this Fall Holiday celebration is/will be taking him to Pumpkin Patches. Our mother's group organized a day at Lemos Farm in Half Moon Bay today and I could not have imagined a more cute, elaborate, Halloween/Fall themed day of fun. There were hay rides, pony rides and train rides, a petting zoo, jumpy houses, a haunted house and pumpkins galore! Jacob was on cloud 9 and I am incredibly surprised that we got out of there without him losing the plot.

We hesitated taking him into the Haunted House but when the doorman said "scary?" or "nonscary?", we felt we'd be safe with the "nonscary" option. (By the way, where was this option when I was kid? I remember really NOT wanting to go to these things because I'm really not a fan of being scared out of my mind, but I always went along so as not to disappoint the group. If a "nonscary" option existed back then, I would have jumped on it!) Unfortunately, Jacob takes after his momma and even the "nonscary" option was a little bit too scary for him. We ended up racing through as Jacob clinged to my body for dear life. I wouldn't be surprised if he avoided haunted houses for another good 10 years.

By far his favorite parts were feeding the goats, jumping in the jumpy houses, and dancing along to the music (surprised?) If it weren't so crowded at this place, I'd go there once a week just to see that adorable smile on his face.

"I seriously love feeding goats. Especially baby ones!"









"Look at how strong I am!"





"Here Daddy, let me help you. That's a big one!"





"This is my friend Elin" :)



"Elin, check out my dance moves!"



"Daddy, you are SO funny."



2 comments:

Psychicmommy2maya said...

How funny, we went to a birthday party @ Lemo's yesterday ...we love Lemo's too! We have been going every year since Maya's 1st Halloween ( 2 & 1/2 months old).

As for costume choices, I have to throw my opinion in there ;).
I vote for either Elmo, or Fire man and as a 3d alternative vote a puppy (love how he barks ;)

Glad you had so much fun @ Lemo's Jacob. We love you!

Melissa & Maya

kristy said...

seriously, where were the "non scary" options when we were growing up? or maybe they are only for the little ones. i guess by the time you are 14, you are supposed to be able to handle it.

not me.

were you with me when i punched the security guard in the haunted house at astroworld b/c he scared me?

yeah. that was my last haunted house. EVER.

also? a puppy? cutest. idea. ever.