Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I can't believe it worked!

Jacob is up to his old tricks again and has been waking up at 5:20/5:30 am every morning. For those of you who know me AT ALL, you know I can't function at that hour of the morning and since Mark is gone every week, we had to do something. For Christmas, we bought Jacob the Teach me Time alarm clock from American Innovative. A long time ago, I read that this clock is helpful in not only teaching time, but helping kids stay in bed longer in the morning. The clock has a nightlight that changes colors based on the time you set. As long as your child is old enough to understand that he/she can't get out of bed until the clock turns a certain color, then it can be used to push back that wake up time.

I wasn't sure if Jacob would grasp the concept, so I showed him the clock and the different colors it can change and told him at least 100 times yesterday that green means "wake up!" so he can't cry for mommy and daddy until the light on the clock turns green. If it's yellow, it means "night night". I set the clock to turn green at 6:15 am. Again, as I was putting him to bed, I reminded him not to get up until the clock turns green.

Would you believe that kid listened to me?!

I woke up at 5:35 this morning b/c my body is programmed to check the monitor now at that time. Sure enough, he was completely awake and playing in his crib. But he was QUIET. I closed my eyes and tried to return to sleep but just kept waiting for him to cry for me instead. Sure enough, at 6:18 am, I hear "Mommy!" from downstairs. I ran downstairs because I was so excited about our progress and when I got into his room he started jumping up and down in the crib yelling "Green light mommy!! Green light! Wake up!!" I just started laughing and doing my happy dance for him. I was really shocked he remembered and more importantly, did what I asked him to do. Now, the true test will be if he continues to pay attention to the green light.

Thank you, American Innovative. Our household owes you.

No comments: