Sunday, June 7, 2009

A Big Boy Day

Mark and I had been looking at new "big boy" bedroom furniture for Jacob for a while and had a hard time deciding what we would want in the new house. We were trying to decide between buying serious furniture (that he could use for a long time and grow into) or buying a playful loft bed with a tent and a slide. Right before we moved in, we found a great deal on craigslist for the tent bed and bought it. Jacob really fell in love with it but he's still been sleeping in his crib. Until today. Mark went upstairs and put him down for his nap and when he came down, he had a very worried look on his face. "He said he wanted to sleep in his big boy bed" he said. Sure enough, Jacob laid there for a while, fell asleep and slept for 2 1/2 hours!! We couldn't believe it. The true test will be how he sleeps in it tonight, but he is extremely excited to be sleeping in his new bed (and so are we!)

To top things off, after he woke up from his nap, his diaper was rather dry so I asked him if he wanted to go on the potty. He's been going on the potty consistently before bath and we've been trying to get him to tell us when he needs to go (before he goes in his diaper) without any real luck. But, he hopped right on the potty and peed without any problem! I think we just need to be more consistent about offering it to him and telling him to try and keep his diaper dry.

It's been a big boy day!

Our big boy starts his first day of preschool tomorrow which I think has brought on more anxiety for Mark and I than it has for Jacob. He cannot WAIT to start school. We've been talking about it for a while and have explained to him many, many times that mommy and daddy do not go to school with him. He seems to understand but I have no idea how tomorrow is going to go. I just can't imagine him napping on a cot with other kids around him -- without books, songs and cuddles from Mom and Dad!! I am just praying that he does okay and that he wants to go back again. He seems to be much more independent these days so I am hopeful. We'll see!!!

Here are some pics of Jacob's room and I'm posting a couple of videos of Jacob and Daddy playing "Scare Daddy with the Dinosaur" tonight. TOO FUNNY.











3 comments:

Jaemie said...

Oh my gosh, that is exactly like our bed, except we had to take the pop-up tent part off, b/c it took up the whole room! :-) Tell Jacob we're very proud of him!

Kevin's Mom said...

Good job Jacob! Good luck on your first day of school tomorrow. I know what you mean, when Kevin started napping on his cot, I think that's what made the big boy bed thing so much easier. Take care! -Andrea & Kevin

Psychicmommy2maya said...

Boy, do I miss that infectious laugh. Angela, THANK YOU for sharing videos of him, it helps when we miss him so much :) I think those are just the funniest videos, Mark is a good sport. Tell Jacob I love his room & I'm so proud of him! Hey, what is up with Maya & him being 2 years apart, but hitting certain miles stones ( Maya is FINALLY sleeping in her own big girl bed, sad it's the same time Jacob has started) & wearing the same size???

PS. OMG, I knew he would love school! I guarantee the separation anxiety is very brief, like it was with me. By the time you are buckled up in your car, I'm sure he is off with a friend, or enjoying circle time. Hang in there, it does eventually get easier :)