Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Holy Tornadoes Batman!

I forgot what a true Texas storm felt like until I saw the clouds rolling in at about 6:30 tonight. I knew it wasn't going to be pretty so I got online immediately and went to weather.com to find out what was going on. We were under a tornado warning and it said it would hit our area at 6:40. Sure enough, a few minutes later, the wind picked up and the lights started flickering and I got that good old "shaking in my knees" feeling. Jacob and I took shelter in the downstairs bathroom (in the middle of the house). The whole time he was asking me "Mommy, what's that noise?" I would respond "It's just the wind outside baby". Then he'd say "Scary wind" with his pretend scary voice and I'd say "no, it's not scary" (even though I was clearly lying!) We sat in there and ate cheerios and played with his McQueen car until he couldn't stand it anymore and then I gave him my iPhone so he could watch videos on it. It was the only way I could keep the poor kid in the bathroom.

Anyway, the storm passed and all was good but I really had forgotten what it felt like to be in a thunderstorm like that. We don't have those kinds of storms in California. Sure, we have to worry about the ground falling out beneath us, but that doesn't ever really happen. Right?

Jacob has officially transitioned to his big boy bed in his new room. He's been napping and sleeping at night great in there and I'm surprised at how easy the transition was. I think all of this moving around/sleeping in different places has helped him adjust to the change. He also finished his second day of school today. He cried both times when I left (which was HEART WRENCHING) but by the time I picked him up, he didn't want to leave. So, that and the fact that he keeps asking to "go back to school mommy?" are both good signs.

Here's a shot of Jacob on his first day of school:



Showing off his Thomas backpack (which all of the kids at school are apparently in awe of!):



Sleeping in his big boy bed (like a baby):



No comments: