Saturday, August 20, 2011

The 2nd child syndrome

When Jacob was merely 6 months old, we were enrolled in a music class in Chicago. I remember thinking how silly it was that these little babies were just laying there staring at the ceiling the whole time. But that's what you do when you have your first baby. Because you have the time. And you are dying to get out and do things with other adults -- even if it is singing "Row Row Row Your Boat" amongst a class of strangers.

I started Jacob at The Little Gym when he was 15 months old. He loved it. He loved everything about it. I have to say, that kid really loves a structured class. He listens to instructions well and follows directions very clearly, most of the time. He always has. 3+ years later, we are still at The Little Gym enjoying their teaching and activities. Jacob has been at camp there on Mondays and Wednesdays all summer and I have developed a relationship with Merry, the owner, since I now partner with them to do JBF Open Houses.

Anyway, I say all of this because today The Little Gym had an "end of Summer party" and it was the FIRST TIME Maddie had actually stepped into the gym. She's never had a chance to play there. We've been in there a hundred times but she never got to play. Until today. WHAT A SHAME. She is almost 2! I feel as if I've neglected a big part of parenting her as a toddler. Why, do you ask, have I not done classes with her like I did Jacob? Oh let me count the ways...

I do say to Mark often "there needs to be more than 24 hours in a day". That pretty much sums it up.

So, today I got to see her finally explore all those playmats and climbing structures she's only admired from the lobby window. And I signed her up for a Fall class beginning next week. I am sure she's going to love it and glad I finally pulled the trigger and enrolled her. I will say this -- she will have an injury in that gym. I'm certain of it. While Jacob was terrified of climbing and swinging on high bars, she had no fear as she tried to climb and swing on everything without a bit of caution. She fell OFF of the higher balance beam today without me even knowing about it (don't worry, it's only about 4 feet off the ground) because she seemingly felt confident enough to climb right on it and walk right across it without any assistance! Is this also the 2nd child syndrome?!

See what I mean?



Pure joy





She listened well and did exactly what the instructors said



And of course, Jacob had to show Maddie ALL of his tricks. I think he was as excited as she was that she was finally in the gym with him.



This absolutely shocked me. I had no idea he could do this!



I'm sure there will be lots more gymnastics fun to follow. Now that I've opened this new door to Maddie's world. I'm looking forward to every minute.

No comments: