Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Divine Intervention

You might be disappointed to find out that this post will have nothing to do with the kids -- no swim class vomit or nakedness today.

Just a cute little story I had to share.

I am in full JBF mode right now. My sale starts in TWO weeks and I am working around the clock. Much to my dismay this season, I didn't have the foresight to think about the fact that schools would not be in session this summer, so distributing 10,000 postcards up and down the Peninsula to schools that are NOT IN SESSION proved to be difficult. My work days a few weeks leading up to the sale are usually me in my car with a box full of postcards mapping out my next location on my phone, hoping that when I arrive at the next school that a) they will be open and b) the Director will just happen to have time to give ME the time of day.

You can imagine sometimes it doesn't always work out that nicely.

When I arrive, I usually tell (whomever will listen) about the wonderful thing we're doing for Shelter Network and that last May, we donated over 1,500 children's and maternity items to this wonderful organization. I've uttered this "speech" so many times that it rolls off my tongue these days without a single stutter.

Anyway, today was not going as well as I'd hoped. I had LOTS and LOTS of postcards to still get out and I kept hitting school after school where the Directors weren't present or I'd just have to leave the postcards in hopes that someone would approve them. Someday. (I'm not fond of doing this as I never know if they will actually be distributed.)

I pull up to a red light, stop, and was literally banging my head against the steering wheel when out of the corner of my eye, I notice this particular image that looked familiar. As I looked up all the way, I noticed it was a HUGE Shelter Network logo. The one and only (ONE AND ONLY) donation truck that Shelter Network owns was sitting at the red light directly in front of me. I was on a residential street in the middle of Redwood City. It's not like I was on the highway and coincidentally passed one of 20 trucks they could have owned. They own ONE. And it was waiting patiently for that red light too. Right in front of me.

I had to laugh.

It was as if someone (someONE) up above was saying "Pick your chin up kid" and "go get 'em tiger". I was suddenly motivated to visit 5 more schools and in which, met 3 of the sweetest preschool Directors I've met so far. And it was better that school wasn't in session yet, b/c I got to meet them without a distraction and have their full attention. AND I got out more postcards than I had expected.

Life is funny like that sometimes. :)

2 comments:

Maria Duzon said...

Angela, what a great story! We are so happy to partner with you. I'm glad our truck brought a smile to you and energy to keep on truckin' (pun intended). It's those moments that keep me going every day.

Maria

Charlene Broxterman said...

Angela, You just experienced one of those moments that I call in my own life,"one of those God Things!" Just shows you that you have loving friends and relatives up above, showering you with just what you need in your "moment"! Good luck with your sale! Charlene