Sunday, October 14, 2007

Where's my other tooth?

It amazes me how much time I spend thinking about my child's teeth.

Seriously.

If I thought this much about money (and how to save it), we'd be millionaires by now.

So, Jacob's 2 bottom teeth came in at the exact time when he was 5 1/2 months old. A few weeks ago, his top left tooth appeared (in case you have forgotten, this was the same week that he drove a babysitter to celibacy.) Well, I assumed that his other top tooth would pop out shortly after, just as his bottom teeth had. Instead, Jacob now has this 1 big, front, top tooth protruding alone without its pair. So I ask you, where is that 2nd tooth?

This continues to baffle (and worry) me so I decided to do some research last night. My fear was that this 2nd tooth would never appear and he'd be teased as a toddler as the kid with the one big tooth (think Bucky the Beaver, but only slightly less so.) Ok, so, I had had a little bit of wine last night but don't let that fool you into thinking this is what led to my neurotic behavior. This is what I do. Vino or no vino.

So, Google leads me to countless pediatricians that state that baby teeth "eruption" isn't always predictable and in the same order. (Let me digress for a moment. Does anyone find it interesting that medical professionals refer to teething as "eruptions" in the mouth? Good Lord, no wonder my child turned into a little devil that week his top tooth ERUPTED. He had an explosion in his mouth!) Anyway, in my research, I learned about 20 month olds that got their 1 year molars first, and then the other teeth followed (what in the world did they eat for a year and a half?) I then read about shark teeth...when babies get their adult teeth before they lose their baby teeth (I will pray for their parents tonight.) And I also read about baby teeth discoloration, due to antibiotics or jaundice (good think little J hasn't been sick yet.)

Whew. I had no idea that baby teeth were so complicated. Now I don't feel so neurotic. (Bring on the wine!)

No doctor mentioned that my baby's lonely top tooth was anything to worry about, so I'll just continue to search, poke and prod around his mouth everyday until I feel that little sharp edge I've been waiting for. Rest assured, I'll keep you posted as to how this all unfolds, or erupts. Until then, enjoy my adorable baby boy with his 1 big top tooth while you can.


2 comments:

Stacie said...

take a chill pill, mommy. that tooth will come when it's ready. (just like jacob did!) :)

Angela said...

Errr, that would be a good point, if Jacob had come when he was ready! Induction, 3 tries at water breaking and a 25 hour labor. Hmmm, I don't think he was ready.