Monday, January 14, 2008

planes, trains and automobiles

Well folks, we did it. We have moved back to San Francisco! Leaving our house in Chicago was not easy. I stood in the doorway for a moment and felt a heaviness in my heart. That was the house that we brought Jacob home to. It was where we gave him his first bath, where we witnessed his first toothless grin, and more recently, where he took his first precious steps. What pains me even more is that he will never remember that place...and all the amazing times we had in it. (sniff, sniff)

Ahhhh, but we have to move on. Yesterday went almost as smoothly as it could possibly go (other than the fact that I left the DVD player on the plane. The BRAND-NEW-CHRISTMAS-GIFT DVD player that has already been left once in a restaurant in Angel Fire, New Mexico. No worries though -- it was retrieved after a short delay). I was feeling so strange about our arrival to SF until we landed and were welcomed with crystal clear, blue, sunny skies. I couldn't believe it. I forgot how incredibly beautiful this city was. My sadness lifted then, and I was excited to be back in the city where Mark and I began our lives together.

Our new temporary home is "charming". Isn't that the code word for "small" in San Francisco real estate lingo?? I'm not sure -- I'm reaquainting myself with the market out here. Actually, the corporate housing we have is very nice. The place is brand new and nicely decorated. Jacob and I will just have to play outside more to give him some space to run around (and really, how could we not, in 60 degree sunny weather?)

Now if we could just convince all of our friends in Chicago to move out West. Hmmm, I'll be working on that...

No comments: