Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The soothie makes a comeback

So, since Jacob was born, he was never really interested in pacifiers. The only thing he took was the green soothie (another version of a paci) that was given to him at the hospital and we only used that to get him down for naps because it seemed to settle him down. For the most part, he even stopped using it at bedtime.

I've always felt somewhat grateful that he never took to love pacis because I've heard about the challenges of weaning babies from pacis and the thought of having to come up with some elaborate "goodbye paci" ritual just exhausts me. So I have felt fortunate that we wouldn't have to go through this exercise.

Until now.

For some reason, in the last 2 days, Jacob has a newfound love for his soothie. He gets SO excited when he sees it. He pops it in his mouth and sucks on it as he walks around the house. He pops it in my mouth whenever he gets the chance. He throws it on the floor, laughs, runs after it and then pops it back into his mouth (or back into mine, thank you very much.)

I'm not sure what to make of this, but I am wondering if I should start planning his goodbye paci party.

The jury's still out on this one folks. I'll keep you posted.


No comments: