Thursday, January 3, 2008

Thanks Mom!

Most of you know that Jacob doesn't nap very well. 90% of the time, he wakes up after 30 minutes and can't go back to sleep (30 min. doesn't cut it my friends.) So, instead of fighting with him to get him back into his crib, most days I just accept the fact that I will be rocking him for the next hour in his room while he sleeps soundly in my arms (I do realize that I have no other children to tend to, so I am lucky to be able to do this.) Well, this was one of those days. I'm trying like crazy to clean out our master bedroom to rid ourselves before we move of the junk that has just piled up in the last year, and I hear him crying. Poor thing. He also developed a horrible cold 2 days ago and you can hear the congestion when he breathes (stupid weather in Kansas and New Mexico!)

So, I throw in the towel, bring my Diet Coke into his room and pick him up and rock him. About an hour later after I had rocked my own self to sleep, I wake up because he's trying to sit up in my arms. He looks at me with these sleepy big eyes and I say "well hello there baby." And this is the magical part. He turns to me, smiles, and leans forward and plants a big wet kiss right on my mouth. Don't be mistaken. It was a KISS. Usually, he busts out the teeth and uses my face as a teething ring. But not this time. He leaned over, gave me a kiss, then wriggled out of arms to the floor and grabbed my hand to take him out of his room. As if to say "thanks mom! thanks for rocking me while I slept!" Ah. TOO cute.

Now, we'll ignore the fact that 10 minutes later he was banging his head on the floor because he was frustrated about something. That doesn't matter because he kissed me.

1 comment:

Stacie said...

nothin like it....nothin like baby kisses...nothin like a napping baby on your chest....mmmmm....
brings back SUCH memories for me with my own babies (whose sleep habits as babies were MUCH like Jacob's....maybe it's a family thing..?) but as you said, the rocking for that extra hour of sleep you know they so desperately need is a luxury you're rarely afforded when it's baby #2 or 3...sigh...