Thursday, April 24, 2008

Back in business

We're back online after a brief, but extra busy week. We finally moved into our new home this past weekend and have been unpacking boxes ever since. Every time we move I tell myself "I'm not doing this again. I am SO not doing this again." And somehow, 1-2 years later, I'm doing this again. I tell you what, we are super efficient unpackers these days and moving so frequently does force us to trash unnecessary items. I fantasize about becoming a minimalist and want to cry every time I unwrap yet another picture frame. Really, how many picture frames can a person have? We finally bit the bullet and threw away the 50 shot glasses we had accumulated over the years. (All this time we rationalized that they were souvenirs therefore they should continue to take up space in our cabinets. Believe it or not, all they did was collect dust from move to move -- we are not the party animals some of you think we are!)

All in all though, the move went very well. Jacob is getting adjusted nicely and loves that he has the whole downstairs to roam. We also love to spend warm days outside in the backyard throwing and kicking the ball around. (It's a game of fetch really. Jacob throws and mommy fetches. Jacob kicks and mommy fetches.)

I have also realized a few important things about living in a single family home:

1) Garages ROCK my world. Seriously, I spend significantly more money at the grocery store now because I know I can pull into the garage and drop the bags off in the kitchen (as opposed to hauling them up 2 flights of stairs in our previous condo/apartment buildings.)

2) Life is different with a yard. I love looking outside the kitchen window at our orange, lemon, and lime trees and the gorgeous red roses that line the fence. Is this truly my home? We really lack green thumbs in this family so I pray everyday that we don't kill our wildlife outside.

3) I LOVE not having to answer to anyone when it comes to our home. No apartment management offices or condo association boards. We can do whatever we want! So THERE.

Stay tuned for updated pics of Jacob at his many playdates in our new neighborhood -- we've been socializing up a storm!!!

No comments: