Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Magic

I won't be exaggerating when I say that the most fascinating thing about raising a child is witnessing their growth. Growth of their minds and their bodies. I was looking at Jacob's hands the other day and they are already little man hands. They are not baby hands anymore -- his fingers are stocky, square and strong and his nails are bitten to the quick, just like his daddy's. I also marvel at how tall he is in comparison to his little sister, when it seems like only yesterday he was her size. Being back in this house brings back so many memories of that time when we first moved here, when he was exactly the age she is now. I remember him in that same bathtub, crawling around for those same bath toys, standing up and holding on to the same soap holder. When she's in the bath and does these things, and her hair is wet and slicked back, she could be his twin. I have to remind myself that it is 2 1/2 years later...

Jacob's imagination is astounding. He will sit and play with this cars and little people and invent a whole scene that is going on with people needing rescuing, a fire truck on the way, and with monsters in the shadows. His little mind just never stops. The other day, we were leaving school and his friend Max passed by and said "Hi Dinosaur!" to Jacob. Jacob started laughing so hard I thought he was going to fall down. He didn't stop talking about it for a good hour. "Did you hear Max mommy? He said 'hi dinosaur' to me! Wasn't that funny?! He is SO silly!" Then, just this morning (a few days later), he said to me "Mommy, do you remember when Max said 'hi dinosaur' to me the other day?" I said "yes, I do!" He said, "That was so silly. I was just thinking about that before I went to nap." He was thinking about something that happened days ago before he went to bed. Just laying there thinking about it and how funny it was. He is a little adult now! Just amazing.

One of my favorite moments recently has to be documented in the blog. This weekend, we were all together in the car and Jacob was playing with a toy. He shoved it in his pants and yelled "There's a rocket in my pants! And it's about to explode!" Oh dear Lord. Mark and I laughed about that for DAYS.

And don't even get me started on Maddie. She learns so many things every day it's just magical to watch. Magical, I tell you! As hard as this daily grind is, I have to admit how lucky we are to have 2 strong, healthy, beautiful kids.



At Maddie's 1 year check up, she was 23.4 lbs (83%), 31 inches tall (95%)with a head circumference of 18 inches. In comparison, Jacob was 27 lbs and 30.5 inches tall! She beat him in height by 1/2 an inch!

















2 comments:

Milla & her mommy said...

You seriously make the most beautiful kids! They are amazing!

Millie said...

Sorry to have missed you guys at playgroup this week. But those are seriously cute photos. And how stylish is that little girl?!!!