Sunday, October 31, 2010

Toy Story - Broxterman Style

This week has been full of Halloween events and our Toy Story theme did not disappoint! Buzz, Woody, Jesse and Rex were a hit on the streets of San Carlos and I don't think Jacob could have had more fun this Halloween. This kid was ecstatic. I actually think that's an understatement but you would have had to seen him tonight as he was trick-or-treating to see what I mean.

But to start, our Wednesday playgroup had a Halloween party on Wednesday afternoon hosted by our lovely friends Millie and Emma (thanks again guys!) The party was great and it was a chance for us to take our costumes for a test drive. I also learned that Jacob doesn't quite understand what a Halloween party is (which is essentially just an excuse to dress up, eat yummy treats and take silly pictures). He kept equating it to a birthday party so when we arrived, he was asking me over and over again "when was the party going to start?" He kept asking when we were going to sing and got overly upset when I tried to explain to him that it wasn't that kind of party. So, instead, I asked our friends to humor him and sing "Happy Halloween to you, Happy Halloween to you, Happy Halloween to everyone, Happy Halloween to you". Thank goodness I have understanding (and humorous) friends. They didn't even hesitate, and once we all sang, Jacob was satisfied and the party continued. I dressed Maddie up in her angel costume for this party since Mark wasn't there to play Woody so the Toy Story clan wouldn't have been complete anyway. Besides, it was an excuse for her to wear at least one of the other costumes I bought her! And what a cute angel she was. :)









Millie was SO creative! This is graveyard hummus dip



And spider cupcakes



And string cheese fingers...



On Friday, San Carlos closed the streets of downtown and hosted the "Goblin Walk". Mark was able to join us this time so the Toy Story family was in tact. I can't tell you how many looks and comments we got! Everyone loved it. Including Jacob -- he got a BIG kick out of us all being dressed as the Toy Story clan. Also, I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said that every 5th boy out there was dressed as Buzz Lightyear. It was insane! There were also lots of Jesses -- but of course, I was the only "big Jesse" on the scene. One father (whose little daughter was also dressed as Jesse) pointed to me and said to his daughter "that's the REAL Jesse!" You should have seen this little girl's face! It was priceless.





Jacob was SO excited when he saw Mr. Potato Head. I should have asked this woman to join us on our walk.









We have no idea who this little Tiger was, but Maddie loved her!



I had to get a pic of another little Jesse









Our playgroup friends!





Finally, tonight was the real deal and we got all dressed up again to go trick-or-treating. Our friends Lauren, Derek, Tyler and Sydney hosted a little Halloween get together at their house in San Carlos and then all the kids went trick-or-treating together. Jacob was so incredibly happy -- he sprinted to every single house and screamed at the top of his lungs "trick or treat!" followed by an emphatic "Thank you!" and then came sprinting back to us to show us what kind of candy he got. I think this holiday may turn out to be his favorite of the year. I don't quite blame him. I think I enjoy it just as much as he does! Maddie even got into the spirit by walking with the kids up to the houses and taking candy and putting it in her bucket. Ah, I can't wait until next year already!!











2 comments:

Jaemie said...

Fun! Fun!

Millie said...

I'm still amazed at your craftiness, Angela, in making this Toy Story Family happen! And what a cool Jesse you make, m'dear! I might have to send you a replacement photo for that graveyard dip. Because that (broccoli) tree has apparently toppled onto the front fence! :-)