Thursday, July 16, 2009

I passed!

I had to take a glucose test on Monday that screens for gestational diabetes (GD). Apparently, some women develop diabetes during pregnancy because their insulin production changes. My doctor in San Francisco wondered if I had GD when I was pregnant with Jacob in Chicago since he was such a large baby, but they never tested me back then. Since he was concerned, I was totally stressing about this test. But I just got word that I passed!! I guess the Broxtermans just make large babies (Nanny can attest to this!) I am so relieved as I don't know how I could handle a strict diet for the next 12 weeks.

Speaking of diets, my Doctor also informed me that I had gained 8 pounds since my last appointment (4 weeks ago). His exact words were "Um Angela, we like to see a 1 pound per week weight gain...not a 2 pound per week weight gain." Thanks Doc. I was already stressing about the monumental change my body has made in the last 8 weeks or so. It's like the baby just exploded! For some reason, with this pregnancy, I did not start gaining until very late and all of a sudden, my body is making up for it. I'm still on track to gain in the normal, healthy range (of 25 - 35 lbs.) although, admittedly, it will be in the upper end of that range. But, I think I need to start laying off the sweets!! Jacob and I have been going on 45 minute power walks in the neighborhood very early in the mornings, but it's getting harder and harder to convince him to get in that stroller when he knows he's stuck there for a while. And he seems to have lost interest in the scenery (after seeing it all the time) and playing our tried and true game of "tag the fire hydrants". I guess I need to come up with a new route -- and a new game.

Today's walk provided a little more excitement than usual. We were cruising along the sidewalk when the cutest little tiny bunny jumped out in the path. He continued to bounce next to us for about 10 paces and Jacob was just beside himself. "I want to grab him! I want to hold him! I want to love him!" Poor kid. I had to explain to him that wild bunnies don't like to be grabbed...or held. Maybe loved -- but that bunny was too dang fast for me to catch. That's for sure.

No comments: