Sunday, July 26, 2009

Operation Potty Train: Day 2

As I posted earlier, Day 2 of potty training started on a high note because Jacob woke up completely dry. We were so excited! Unfortunately, I was going on the 6th day of being sick with what I thought was just a common cold. My coughing and wheezing had gotten so bad that I woke up at 3 am having trouble breathing so I knew I had to go see someone (even though I should have listened to Mark and gone to the Doctor when he told me to a few days earlier). So, first thing in the morning, I went to urgent care and found out that I have bacterial bronchitis. They put me on antibiotics, an inhaler and cough syrup with codeine and told me to drink lots of fluids and get lots of rest so that this doesn't turn into pneumonia. I certainly don't want to go there!! I called my OB and he says baby will be fine with these meds and the important thing is just getting better. Unfortunately, all this means is that poor Mark has felt the brunt of the potty training effort since I have been, to an extent, out of commission. And he has been such a GREAT sport about it!!

But, Mark did inform me that the only accident Jacob had all day yesterday was when he went #2 in his underwear. He admitted to us that he's scared to go poop on the potty so this is something we're going to have to work on. Outside of that though, he consistently tells us when he needs to go to the potty and goes without any accidents! This is great progress!

Last night, before bed, I asked Mark what the chances were of Jacob waking up dry again (as I was very skeptical). He said "60 percent". Ha. So, you can tell we weren't fully convinced that this nighttime potty training would be as successful as daytime. Well, at 5:45 this morning (45 minutes before his green light comes on indicating it's time to get up), Jacob came downstairs and was a tiny bit wet. Mark went back up with him and took him to the potty where he went on the toilet and then Mark put him back in his bed. I was surprised to hear that his bed was completely dry, so we think he woke up and had to go, but couldn't wait for the green light, so he came downstairs to get us. What a smart kid!!! Unfortunately he didn't go back to sleep but he and Mark laid in his bed until the green light came on at 6:30 am.

I would say Day 2 was another success! Day 3 is going very similarly but I'll post about that tomorrow so that I can give a full report. Some of you who read this blog have asked about this program and how it's going, so I am trying to include details so a) I don't forget when it's time to potty train #2 and b) to help you guys out as well!! Please wish us another great day and dry night tonight!

I promise to post more fun blogs in the near future. :)

No comments: