Wednesday, March 31, 2010

6 Months

I think I blinked and time just fast forwarded 6 months. Honestly, I barely remember ever being pregnant with Maddie. Is this the 2nd child syndrome? I can't stop time but I sure as heck am going to try to capture every moment that I can on camera.

Maddie turned 6 months old yesterday and she had her 6 month appointment today. She weighed in at 18 lbs. 3 oz. (88%) and 27 inches (90%). (Interestingly, a woman at the ball fields last weekend in Houston said Maddie looked "small" for 6 months. Seriously? I think this woman had her baby facts confused.) The Doctor was very pleased with Maddie's growth and progress, especially how well she handled having RSV a couple of months ago. She said that most babies have lingering effects for months. Maddie's lasted a couple of weeks and she's been fine ever since! Thank Goodness!! Even though Maddie has been drooling more than a teenage boy in a Girls Gone Wild Video, there are no signs of teeth. This shocks me because I seriously can't figure out where all this saliva is coming from. I also can't figure out how she is still spitting up what seems like gallons after every feeding. Doc also said this can happen up until 12 months so I might as well get used to the countless wardrobe changes (for Maddie and myself) and chalk it up to her being a "happy spitter." Doc also said that Maddie should be sleeping through her 3/4 am feeding now and not getting up at all in the night. I question this still (although I never, ever thought I'd be one of those moms getting up in the middle of the night after 6 months) but Maddie really seems to need that feeding. She said to try and bump up the solids intake (we're only doing once a day right now), especially before bedtime and see if this helps. My fingers are crossed but I'm not counting on it!

Maddie still isn't rolling from her tummy to her back but she rolls from her back to her tummy, both ways, just fine. I was concerned about this, but the Doctor reassured me that she's just fine, especially since she's rolling the other way. She's also almost mastered sitting up. I can sit her down for 5/10 minutes at a time and she'll play happily with a toy in front of her. She's still only napping 30 minutes at a time, but usually once in the afternoon, you can go in and rock her back to sleep, put her back down and get another hour out of her.

Maddie really is such an amazing little creature. It takes absolutely nothing more than a sweet smile her way to make her face beam and light up with a smile in return. Most people can't resist that cheeky grin and end up stopping in their tracks to comment on 1) her hair 2) her big blue eyes or 3) her big cheeks (in that order). And this is Texas folks, so I hear a lot of comments like "her Daddy is gonna have to clean out his shotgun when she gets older." Honestly. It's scary how many times I've heard it. And it's even scarier that those exact words came out of my extremely hip, beautiful, young pediatrician today. Not joking.

I took Maddie in for her 6 month pictures yesterday. Here's to our 6 month old baby girl.











1 comment:

Jaemie said...

Oh good grief, she is so precious!