Sunday, July 11, 2010

Baby Proofing

We never really baby proofed our house when Jacob started moving. All we did was cover the outlets and put a gate at the bottom of the stairs. He was never interested in getting into cabinets, drawers, etc. so we didn't lock our house down with all kinds of gadgets. Also, since we only had one child, it was easy to keep a close eye on him.

Oh how times have changed. Maddie is going to be totally different, I can already see it. After her bath tonight (which she will no longer sit down for - as soon as you put her on her bottom, she uses the side of the tub to pull herself up to stand up and jump up and down), she was crawling around the floor naked (b/c it's impossible to get her diaper on) and she crawled right over to the doorstop and pulled it 20 times until the white rubber stopper on the end came out. Then she stuck in right in her mouth. I grabbed it immediately, obviously, and put it away in a drawer. Then, she used the wall to pull herself up, cruised over to the outlet and pulled the nightlight right out. Then she went for the hair dryer. Good grief. Jacob was NEVER interested in these things. I imagine babyproofing this time around is going to be a more involved process because a) she's more curious than a cat and b) I've got 2 to keep my eye on!

Changing subjects, Jacob's imagination is crazy wild these days. For example, this was the conversation we had over dinner tonight:
Jacob: Daddy, remember the time when the frog jumped in my cereal and I ate it??
Mark: You ATE a frog??
Me: Is he jumping around in your belly right now?
Jacob: No, he's at the zoo
Mark: How did he get to the zoo?
Jacob: I pooped him out and flushed him in the toilet and then he went to the zoo.

Man, I wish I could come up with this stuff. It really makes you wonder how a 3 year old thinks!

No comments: