Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Foreshadowing

To my own dismay, when Mark is out of town, I completely overbook Jacob, Maddie and myself with activities because I go crazy when we are at home doing nothing. This causes 2 problems: 1) I try to do too much, therefore end up being overstressed anyway and 2) I'm absolutely exhausted by the end of the day and desperately need a glass of wine (okay, so maybe this isn't a problem in my book.)

Today, we had swimming class at 9 am, Little Gym at 11:30 and haircut at 4:30. I kept promising Jacob that if he was a good boy during his haircut, he could have a lollipop after OR we'd go get ice cream. I was pretty confident his choice would be ice cream, which it was. I made sure to warn him, "no lollipop after your haircut okay? Because we're going to get ice cream instead." He nodded in agreement (or so I thought.) Unfortunately, we had a bit of a wait before his haircut so in the interest of time, I told him we'd go next door and get ice cream before his haircut. Excited, we ran next door and he had ice cream. Unfortunately, as soon as we stepped back into the hair place he said "mommy, I want a lollipop". Once again, I explained to him that we already had ice cream and he chose that instead of a lollipop. This resulted in a tantrum in the middle of Sports Clips. I calmed him down by playing "I Spy" with him until they called him back. I finally got him in the chair and the girl was super fast and before I knew it, she whipped out a lollipop to give him for being a good boy during the cut. (SIGH)

Do you know what my child proceeded to do after that? For the next 10 minutes (TEN), he continues to say, over and over again, "See Mommy. I TOLD you I'd get a lollipop. I TOLD YOU SO. I told you mommy. You said "NO" but I told you I'd get a lollipop."

It was like fingernails scratching a chalkboard. I have a feeling that this won't be the last time he ever tells me "I told you so."

For the record, the score is:
Jacob: 877,395
Mommy: 5

But who's counting?

No comments: