Friday, April 23, 2010

Meet my new friends, Gia and Ellie

I have not even attempted to turn on my sewing machine since my first sewing class over a month ago. It was just too scary. There is SO much I don't know.

For instance, did you know:
  • Sewing machines should be serviced at least once a year? Yep. Just like a car. Weird.
  • The fabric you intend to sew with has infinite effects on your project. Each new fabric seems to come with a different set of rules. This fabric requires this needle. This fabric requires this thread. This fabric requires this sewing technique (stitching, presser foots, speed, oh my.) It's extremely overwhelming. Which is why I'm sticking to cotton.
  • There are way too many different types of stitches. Even straight stitches have 5 different kinds. Wouldn't a straight stitch just be a straight stitch? One would think so. And I have a basic, basic machine. Imagine what Martha Stewart's machine looks like.
Yes, sewing has intimidated me beyond belief but I finally busted out my machine last night because I knew if I didn't take her for a ride soon, she would gather dust in the closet for many years to come.

I introduce you to Gia the Giraffe and Ellie the Elephant. Do you like them? I do. I think they are precious. And here's my dirty little secret. I am addicted to this blog called "Make it and Love it". She is brilliant at scripting tutorials for projects like these, especially for beginners. I think I might love her.

Meet my new friends, Gia and Ellie. I think I might make a hundred of them.





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Iris wants a Gia and Ellie! So adorable, Ang. I can't believe you're sewing!