Thursday, April 8, 2010

New Beginnings

I will not dare attempt to script the events of our Easter weekend, mostly because they are too painful to relive, but I want to acknowledge some pretty amazing allies on our side that helped us through this awful ordeal. These are not in any particular order so please don't read this as a prioritization.

Frank: My brother was the first on the scene in our desperate need for help, he didn't even flinch when I said we needed him. He came straight to the ER at Baylor Grapevine, picked up Jacob and took care of him for the rest of the day/night until reinforcements (Nanny, Papa, Grandma, Grandpa) could arrive. I had no idea that his friends had planned a birthday party for him that night which he subsequently missed. I can't tell you what relief it brought to us knowing that Jacob was in good hands so we could concentrate on our baby girl.

Nurse Amy: When I arrived at the Baylor Grapevine ER in a panic, she looked me straight in my tear filled eyes and said this, in the most calming, quiet voice a woman could have: "I already told your husband this, but babies are super resilient. I've seen babies fall from 3rd story windows and be just fine. She never lost consciousness and has been crying consistently. She's moving her arms and legs on her own. These are all wonderful signs. We have the towels around her neck just to protect her neck and head until we get the results of the cat scan. Now, I need you to be strong. If you cry, then I cry, and we can't have that because we need to help this little girl get better. Now go console your baby." Amy's quiet strength and authority helped us get through that day. I'm sure most nurses are trained in this manner, but she outdid herself in my opinion. Baylor Grapevine Hospital is lucky to have her.

Nanny/Papa/Grandma/Grandpa: They all hopped in the car at a moments notice and drove all night long to be here with us. They helped take care of Jacob and give him the Easter that he deserved (opening his Easter basket, hunting for candy filled eggs around the house) even though we weren't there to celebrate with him. They paid for meals, cleaned the house and provided endless shoulders to cry on. Thank you, our dear parents, for being the rocks we knew we could count on.

Jaemie: When Maddie was airlifted to Cooks Childrens in Fort Worth, Mark stayed on the helicopter with her and I drove to Fort Worth. It was a good 30 minutes away. Still not knowing the outcome of what was already the most trying day of my life, I called Jaemie. Even though most of the conversation was me blubbering on the other line, I felt immensely better after talking to her and hearing her words of encouragement and support.

Nurse Jamie: In the ICU at Cooks Childrens, Jamie was our nurse and she also had a 6 month old baby girl at home who was just 6 days older than Maddie. Her compassion and concern were felt throughout and she took great care of us while we were there. When Maddie had to have her skeletal x-ray done and we couldn't be in the room, Jamie advised us to go get a coffee and that she would take great care of her while she was in there. It was really for our protection as the babies usually don't like to be twisted every which way (especially after a bad fall) and she knew that we would be able to hear her crying even out in the hall. Going to get coffee, and a break for 15 minutes, allowed us to pause and pray. And cry.

Dr. Honeycutt, Neurosurgeon: Giving us the best possible news on Easter morning. The 2nd cat scan showed that the bleeding on her brain had stopped therefore she was out of danger. He assured us that she would be fine and that her skull fracture would heal in time without any intervention. Praise GOD.

There are also countless people to thank for their prayers, concern and support. Julie/Tom, thank you for your sweet messages, flowers and words of encouragement. McCaffreys, for the beautiful flowers and kind card. Our brothers and sisters - Eric, Amy, Sean, John, Misty, Brandi - for the phone calls, emails and text messages and mostly your prayers! Mark's teammate, Rhonda, for the abundance of Easter goodies. Mark's Red River Team -- for the largest bouquet of Edible Arrangements I've ever seen and the adorable teddy bears! And to all of our friends that knew, thank you for your prayers, constant calls to check in and emails of love and support.

I know this blog entry might come as a surprise to some of you. The only thing that matters now is that Maddie, Jake, Mark and I are at home, happy and healthy once again. It kind of feels like a new beginning, in a way. But it also feels like we've barely skipped a beat. We will forever thank the Lord for that.

These pictures were taken today. I can't stop looking at them!





























1 comment:

Jaemie said...

Now I'm crying all over again!
:-)
Those pictures are gorgeous and Maddie and Jacob are the luckiest little ones around to have such amazing and strong parents!

We miss you tons.

PS I just put a package in the mail to you guys!